Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Cure

     This is the fourth year that my husband and I participated in the Revlon Run/Walk for Women.  We started in 2005 when we were dating and missed in 2008 (had a 1-week young baby) and 2009 (was expecting our second baby in a week!).  Yesterday, with two toddlers in tow, we tackled the 5K.  I had forgotten how emotional of a walk it was.  Within minutes of getting there, I was fighting tears as I read the tribute signs on the walkers' shirts.  Cancer claimed two of my aunts -- stealing from my mom the opportunity to grow old with her sisters and from my cousins' kids the chance to meet their grandmas.  I hate the "C" word and if by taking a morning to walk among strangers with the same purpose we can find a cure, then we'll keep walking and walking and walking.

     Here are a few pics.

 

     In the photo that follows, the woman on the right is probably a lot younger than me and had little toddlers, too.  She was walking in memory of her mother.   


     This tribute hit so close to home because "Sandra" was born the same year as I.



     For some much needed comic relief...

     Aahhh...the finish line!


     On a much lighter note, my babies are blessed with two sets of grandparents who are healthy and well.  We enjoyed their company today -- Mother's Day!  So much of who I am is because of how my mother (Nanay) cared for and loved me.  So much of who my husband is is because of how strong his mother was (and is) for him.  I feel so blessed that I am a mother to two wonderful girls who tire me endlessly but love me just as much.  It is a privilege to be their "momma" and I can't put into words how much I treasure and adore them.

     I walked and will continue to walk for these two little ladies and a world with no cancer.


     I hope you had a lovely Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment